With every invocation, dbt generates and saves one or more artifacts. Several of these are JSON files (
sources.json) that are used to power:
They could also be used to:
- gain insights into your dbt Semantic Layer
- calculate project-level test coverage
- perform longitudinal analysis of run timing
- identify historical changes in table structure
- do much, much more
dbt has produced artifacts since the release of dbt-docs in v0.11.0. Starting in dbt v0.19.0, we are committing to a stable and sustainable way of versioning, documenting, and validating dbt artifacts.
When are artifacts produced?
Most dbt commands (and corresponding RPC methods) produce artifacts:
- semantic manifest: Lives in the
/targetdirectory of your dbt project and stores various artifacts (such as compiled models and tests) generated during the execution of your project.
- manifest: produced by commands that read and understand your project
- run results: produced by commands that run, compile, or catalog nodes in your DAG
- catalog: produced by
- sources: produced by
All artifacts produced by dbt include a
metadata dictionary with these properties:
dbt_version: Version of dbt that produced this artifact.
dbt_schema_version: URL of this artifact's schema. See notes below.
generated_at: Timestamp in UTC when this artifact was produced.
adapter_type: The adapter (database), e.g.
env: Any environment variables prefixed with
DBT_ENV_CUSTOM_ENV_will be included in a dictionary, with the prefix-stripped variable name as its key.
invocation_id: Unique identifier for this dbt invocation
In the manifest, the
metadata may also include:
send_anonymous_usage_stats: Whether this invocation sent anonymous usage statistics while executing.
namedefined in the root project's
dbt_project.yml. (Added in manifest v10 / dbt Core v1.6)
project_id: Project identifier, hashed from
project_name, sent with anonymous usage stats if enabled.
user_id: User identifier, stored by default in
~/dbt/.user.yml, sent with anonymous usage stats if enabled.
- The structure of dbt artifacts is canonized by JSON schemas, which are hosted at schemas.getdbt.com.
- Artifact versions may change in any minor version of dbt (
v1.x.0). Each artifact is versioned independently.