The PrivateLink feature is available on the following dbt Cloud Enterprise tiers:
- Business Critical
- Virtual Private
To learn more about these tiers, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following steps will walk you through the setup of a Snowflake AWS PrivateLink endpoint in the dbt Cloud multi-tenant environment.
Users connecting to Snowflake using SSO over a PrivateLink connection from dbt Cloud will also require access to a PrivateLink endpoint from their local workstation.
Currently, for any given Snowflake account, SSO works with only one account URL at a time: either the public account URL or the URL associated with the private connectivity service.
- Open a Support case with Snowflake to allow access from the dbt Cloud AWS account
- Snowflake prefers that the account owner opens the Support case directly, rather than dbt Labs acting on their behalf. For more information, refer to Snowflake's knowledge base article
- Provide them with your dbt Cloud account ID along with any other information requested in the article.
- AWS account ID:
346425330055- NOTE: This account ID only applies to dbt Cloud Multi-Tenant environments. For Virtual Private/Single-Tenant account IDs please contact Support.
- AWS account ID:
- You will need to have
ACCOUNTADMINaccess to the Snowflake instance to submit a Support request.
After Snowflake has granted the requested access, run the Snowflake system function SYSTEM$GET_PRIVATELINK_CONFIG and copy the output.
Add the required information to the template below, and submit your request to dbt Support:
Subject: New Multi-Tenant PrivateLink Request
- Type: Snowflake
- SYSTEM$GET_PRIVATELINK_CONFIG output:
- *Use privatelink-account-url or regionless-privatelink-account-url?:
- dbt Cloud multi-tenant environment (US, EMEA, AU):
*By default dbt Cloud will be configured to use
privatelink-account-url from the provided SYSTEM$GET_PRIVATELINK_CONFIG as the PrivateLink endpoint. Upon request,
regionless-privatelink-account-url can be used instead.
dbt Labs will work on your behalf to complete the PrivateLink setup. Please allow 1-2 business days for this process to complete. Support will contact you when the endpoint is available.
Create Connection in dbt Cloud
Once dbt Cloud support completes the configuration, you can start creating new connections using PrivateLink.
- Navigate to Settings → Create new project → select Snowflake.
- You will see two radio buttons: Public and Private. Select Private.
- Select the private endpoint from the dropdown (this will automatically populate the hostname/account field).
- Configure the remaining data platform details.
- Test your connection and save it.