YAML Style Guide
- 2️⃣ Indents should be two spaces
- ➡️ List items should be indented
- 🆕 Use a new line to separate list items that are dictionaries where appropriate
- 📏 Lines of YAML should be no longer than 80 characters.
- 🛠️ Use the dbt JSON schema with any compatible IDE and a YAML formatter (we recommend Prettier to validate your YAML files and format them automatically.
☁️ As with Python and SQL, the dbt Cloud IDE comes with built-in formatting for YAML files (Markdown and JSON too!), via Prettier. Just click the
Format button and you're in perfect style. As with the other tools, you can also customize the formatting rules to your liking to fit your company's style guide.
- name: events
- name: event_id
description: This is a unique identifier for the event
- name: event_time
description: "When the event occurred in UTC (eg. 2018-01-01 12:00:00)"
- name: user_id
description: The ID of the user who recorded the event